Boerewors Cottage Pie
Write a review
- 4 Boerewors
- 1 small Vidalia onion, finely diced
- 1 c. baby carrots, cut into medallions
- ½ c. frozen peas
- 1 c. baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 12 oz. jar mushroom gravy
- 24 oz. container refrigerated garlic mashed potatoes
- Fresh ground peppercorns (to taste)
- Shallot salt (to taste)
- Smoked paprika (to taste)
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- Olive oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large frying pan, sauté diced onion in olive oil over medium heat until translucent. Remove casings from Boerewors and pinch pieces into frying pan containing onions, stirring occasionally. Season with shallot salt and ground peppercorns to taste, frying until sausage is no longer pink.
- Pour mixture into bottom of lightly greased pie pan, spreading evenly. Sauté sliced baby portabella mushrooms in olive oil, sprinkled in saffron (optional) until desired doneness, then drain and layer over meat mixture in pie pan. Pour half of mushroom gravy evenly over pie pan.
- Boil or steam baby carrots until tender, then drain. Prepare frozen peas according to package directions. Layer peas and carrots evenly over pie pan. Prepare refrigerated garlic mashed potatoes according to package instructions. Pour remaining gravy evenly over pie pan. When potatoes are heated through, whip until fluffy. Dollop potatoes evenly over pie pan, covering contents completely.
- Sprinkle lightly with shallot salt and smoked paprika. Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. You may place the pie under a broiler for a few minutes if you wish to lightly brown the potato topping (optional). Serve when ready. 4-6 servings.