Stuffed Butternut Squash with Boerewors
View this complete blog post at www.simplecomfortfood.com
Write a review
- 1 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup of barley
- 1/2 basmati rice
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 cups of red chard, chopped
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 3 links Boerewors Sausage, casing removed
- 1 butternut squash, sliced lengthwise in half
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- Start by making the stuffing for your squash. Bring a medium-sized pot to medium-high heat. Add in the butter, and let that melt. Toss in your lentils, rice, and barley and give this a good stir. Cook, and continue to stir for a few minutes. Next add the carrots and onion. Season with salt and pepper, then toss in the red chard. Stir, then add in your chicken stock. Give another good stir, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove from the hit, and partially open the lid to prevent it from over cooking. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Once you have sliced your squash, take a knife and make score marks, about 1/2 inch down. Rub the skin with the canola oil, and place the squash onto a baking sheet, skin side up. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- During this time, heat another large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the Boerewors sausage to the preheated skillet, and cook until the sausage is fully cooked. Make sure you crumble it along the way. Add the lentil mixture to the sausage, and give a good toss and stir.